We have open positions to admit 1-2 Master’s or Ph.D. (preferred) students or postdocs to work on the following projects:
- Software Migration in Post-Quantum Era: The goal of this project is to develop a new technique to automatically identify software binaries vulnerable to quantum attacks. This automatic technique will substantially reduce time and manual efforts required for developers to migrate existing/legacy software toward the post-quantum era. See ALICE for closely related work.
- Secure and Private Machine Learning on Resource-constrained Devices: In this project, we aim to design and implement an architecture that provides robust support for secure distributed ML training and inference operations on resource-constrained IoT devices. See APEX and a recent magazine article for related work.
My research/mentoring experience
My name is Norrathep and I’m an Assistant Professor at Prince of Songkla University, Phuket Campus. I specialize in systems security research, with a focus on developing defensive solutions to safeguard a specific system (e.g., IoT devices or computer software) from various classes of attacks.
I’ve published more than 20 articles on the systems security topic and many of my publications have appeared at top security/hardware conferences: USENIX Security, ACM CCS, IEEE/ACM DAC, IEEE/ACM ICCAD (see Google Scholar Rankings and CSRankings for internationally-recognized CS-centric publication rankings). I’ve also served as a technical program committee/reviewer at top security conferences (USENIX Security, CCS, NDSS).
Over the past 5 years, I’ve helped mentor a couple of Ph.D. students from the USA and Australia, all of which have successfully earned their PhD degrees. I also have collaboration partners worldwide (e.g., USA, UK, Canada, Japan, Singapore, and France) with whom I can recommend my potential students for further studies (PhD/PostDoc) or short-term visits (e.g., summer internship).
- Strong programming skills
- Basic knowledge of computer architecture and cryptography
- Willingness to learn complex and low-level systems
For Master’s and Ph.D. students, at a minimum, my funding can cover the tuition fee for the entire Master’s and PhD study. We can also negotiate for monthly stipends (up to 10,000 Baht per month) in exchange for higher commitments/expectations. A Master’s degree generally takes 2 years to complete while a PhD takes at least 3 years.
For postdocs, the university funding will provide support of 35,000 Baht monthly stipends and travel costs.
I am also offering paid short-term internships throughout the year.
Both Thai and international candidates are welcome to apply. Please send me your CV and transcript: norrathep.r[at]phuket.psu.ac.th by April 2024.